We are walking in the park on a quiet evening in mid September. My hands are still not used to the way yours feel in mine so I’m short of breath and red faced. I blame it on the exercise. You laugh and say that we should start jogging and I look at you with so much disdain that your cheeks colour. 

The evening settles on my shoulders and you take your jacket and wrap it around me. 

I level a sceptical glance in your direction and dryly say: “this isn’t a romantic comedy, I’m not cold you absolute tool.”

You shrug, rub your arms and murmur: “just in case.”

For the fifth time that day I think about how you are too good for me, and selfishly hope that this is something you never come to realise. 

“Hey,” I say quietly, scuffing the toe of my shoe in the dirt, “what would you do if I died?” 

I’m not looking at you but I can see the sharp twist of your head in my periphery. You stumble and it takes a moment for you to regain yourself. I don’t comment. 

“Why would you ask that?” You say sharply, your long ambling stroll has slowed. 

I shrug and keep walking, “just curious, I guess.”

“Hey, wait.” You tuck your hand under my elbow and turn me swiftly to face you, cupping my arms inwards. You peer at me through your hair and brush a hand over your eyes.

“If you died, I’d forget how to do the simplest things. Like how to count, or ride a bike or make toast.” 

You pull me closer to drop your chin onto my head and I can barely hear you now. 

“If you died, I could watch the sunset a thousand times and still not be able to tell you what the colour red looks like.”

Popular posts from this blog

"Some people come into your life just to teach you how to let go."

First generation immigrants | Ijeoma Umebinyuo