I want you to remember me curled up, listening to the sound of your heartbeat and tracing maps across your skin. Remember me laughing at your jokes, especially the stupid ones. Remember the birthday we celebrated together, where I ruined my own surprise, but I was smiling at the end of it all, I smiled so hard I thought I had ripped my cheek muscles, I hope you know I was sincerely sincerely happy. 

Remember us arguing, over insignificant problems that looked so big then. Remember me brave, when you were scared about the future, I was scared too but I wanted to be brave for the both of us; remember me scared and gentle and delicate and breakable - only for you though, only for you. 

Remember me happy, and smiling in mid-kisses, all the ridiculous conversations we've had and the nights we spent together crammed on a single bed and cuddling to sleep. Remember the first time you told me you think you love me and also the first time you kissed me, actually it was me who kissed you instead. Remember the firsts and how they were so delightful and we went back for seconds and thirds and fourths.

Remember how it felt; to have loved and be loved back. Remember the giggles and the laughter and please please please remember how I'd never give up on you. Remember that I am and will always be proud of you no matter where you end up and that above all, remember that I loved you.

Popular posts from this blog

"Some people come into your life just to teach you how to let go."

First generation immigrants | Ijeoma Umebinyuo