The alternate reality of my hypothetical self-contained love.

In a parallel universe,
the Truckee River floods every two years.
My life is punctuated by muddy waters, fallen trees,
the corpses of farm animals
bloated and damp.

Birthdays don’t exist.
I get the spontaneous urge
to kiss you on the last day in November.

In a parallel universe,
we are still together.
Our love exists as a snake bite 
and I am the one that is supposed to 
suck the venom out.

Each time a deer gets hit by a car
the car dies.

My brother sits in his room,
sweating, alone
tasting steel with that gun in his mouth.
In a parallel universe, he doesn’t take it out.

I am telling myself I want love
I am telling myself I only want love 

In a parallel universe, 
We are all making the same beautiful mistakes.

Popular posts from this blog

"Some people come into your life just to teach you how to let go."

First generation immigrants | Ijeoma Umebinyuo