I wonder what would have
happened to us if I wouldn’t have
let you go. And by that I mean
if I didn’t let you walk out that door,
would you have stayed
for the entire night?
Or would you have
caught a cab after I had finally
fallen asleep; making sure
that there were no signs
of you leaving me in a bed
that has been covered in
yesterdays mistakes, and todays
hopes. I didn’t tell you
not to go; didn’t beg on my knees
to try to make you see things
through my eyes.
We could even say
that I opened up that door,
and pushed you out myself.
But what’s the point in trying to
tell someone that you didn’t mean it?
Because once they are gone,
there is no amount
of apologetic phrases,
that could make them
want to come back in.

Popular posts from this blog

"Some people come into your life just to teach you how to let go."

First generation immigrants | Ijeoma Umebinyuo